Quantcast

wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

12

wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
I have the usual light oak kitchen cabinets with band-aid colored walls.  It is not pretty.   I want to put up a glass tile or glass tile/stone tile back splash.  But the wall color that came with the house has just gotta go.   I am terrible at selecting paint colors.  I have looked around on-line looking for inspiration but all of the pictures I find they have just painted the cabinets.  This isn't an option with my husband.  So, any suggestions for a wall color that complements oak cabinets?

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

jenny@birdsandsoap
Green is my all time favorite color. I think a warm shade of green like olive or a mossy green always looks nice.

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection
I agree with Jenny, a green or a blue would look good..... anything cool really to tone down the orangeness of the cabinets.

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
Shows you how bad I am at colors....I was thinking that since the cabinets have a yellowish color I should use a yellowish color to have them blend in.

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

HOST-Court-Creek Line
Some kind of natural looking green for sure! Alternatively, I might go with a really really neutral beigey color and then some kind of rougher texture for a tile for the backsplash, just cause those kinds of cabinets tend to have a bit of a shiny finish on them already. For the record, I'm looking at my own cabinets for ideas because I have the same thing! I'll be painting mine eventually, but honestly, I don't hate the oak as much as I thought I would. Maybe the oak will even be back in one day! Good luck!

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

Melissa-The Happier Homemaker
I do love the idea of the mossy green...what color are your dishes? Towels? adjacent rooms? What colors are you drawn to? What style of decor do you find yourself drawn to?

RE: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
Hubby has vetoed beige so will be leaning towards green.  I was looking at tiles tonight and am leaning towards a combination glass and stone.  1 by 3 inch style is what I like best.  It seems the stone part ties in well with the countertop and I love the look of the glass tiles so the combination appeals to me.  I was thinking I needed a yellowish color in the tiles to tie in with the cabinets.  Am I going in the wrong direction there too?

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:49:50 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

Some kind of natural looking green for sure! Alternatively, I might go with a really really neutral beigey color and then some kind of rougher texture for a tile for the backsplash, just cause those kinds of cabinets tend to have a bit of a shiny finish on them already. For the record, I'm looking at my own cabinets for ideas because I have the same thing! I'll be painting mine eventually, but honestly, I don't hate the oak as much as I thought I would. Maybe the oak will even be back in one day! Good luck!

http://the-forum.3081.n7.nabble.com/wall-color-to-help-with-light-oak-kitchen-cabinets-tp437p454.html
To unsubscribe from wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets, click here.
NAML

RE: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
Sorry that last post was weird.  I tried replying from my email notification and all the extra stuff must have come along with it.  My living room/dining room is open to the kitchen.  It has pale yellow walls and one of the yellow walls extends into the kitchen (but not a wall with cabinets on it).  Right now most of the things there are beige and I am adding color with some pillows in an aqua blue.  No  real colors in towels, I like to change the towels with the seasons.  Appliances, microwave, Kitchen aide, canisters are white so nothing to coordinate with there.  Maybe I will see if I can figure out how to attach a picture.  I sure appreciate all your suggestions so far.  Thanks!

RE: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

Hey denette - do you have any pictures of the space?  We'd love to see them!!

RE: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
I can't find the spot to post a pic.

RE: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

Kelly@ViewAlongTheWayHOST
Denette, do you follow Chelsea at Two Twenty One? She has the golden oak cabinets too and she painted them a soft green. You can see her kitchen here: http://www.twotwenty-one.com/2012/08/our-kitchen-during.html

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

LiveLoveDIY
Oh, I would love a neutral soft green or blue! Since you can't paint the cabinets, you can tone down the yellowness of the wood with blue/green walls and maybe some white porcelain accents displayed on the countertops. trying to keep everything else simple and white might tone them down a bit!
Virginia
Forum Host
www.livelovediy.com

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
I just went through my paint chips and  pulled out the green ones.  Off to check them out again.  Any thoughts on the backsplash tiles?  Try to pull in some yellow or stay away from it?  Does anyone know how to post a picture?  I can't see where to do that.

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
Thanks for the link to 221 and her mint walls with the oak cabinets.  Not sure I love the mint green but I HATE picking colors.

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

Kelly@ViewAlongTheWayHOST
What about a warmer green that's a little darker than the mint? By the way, when you're typing a reply, there's an "insert image" button just above the reply box. Do you see that? Click on that to add a pic!

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
I just do not see insert image anywhere.  I don't know why it isn't showing up for me.  I have some paint chips that I think could work.  Unfortunately I don't have a good understanding of things like a "warmer" green but think all of your suggestions are getting me somewhere.   I don't even have a good paint vocabulary, I am so color challenged.  Also have to work in the grayish-green countertops in the mix.  So any thoughts on if the tile should have a yellow/gold in the scheme to tie in with the cabinets or isn't that necessary.  I want the cabinets to fit in with everything, not look like they are just waiting to be painted white.

I wish I could come help you pick out colors, that is my favorite part! I don't think you need to worry about matching anything to your cabinets, they will look fine. Plus green and yellow are both colors you have to be careful with, the can both easily look like something that came out of a diaper. Just from personal experience (the diapers and the colors!) I think (just my opinion) that if you aren't good with picking out colors, blue is a very easy color to get right...nearly any shade looks great. Plus I think blue and yellow (your accent wall) go together better than green and yellow.

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
craft kitchendining room/living room
Hmmm, I don't know if the two images are posting.  The kitchen pic is actually the craft kitchen but the cupboards, countertop is the same as the kitchen I want to paint.  The other picture is the common wall that also goes into the kitchen.  In the distance you see the current band aide color that I dislike.  But it gives you a sense of what I have.  The couch seen is in the office.  On the right is wallpaper that is on two walls in the dining area.  The red dining chair has been recovered in a beige. Hope this posts correctly.  The reason I couldn't find the insert image button is because I wasn't registered.  Apparently you can post without registering but don't have all the options.  Sorry if the pics don't show up.  I can try again tomorrow.

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

Host {Heather} Inspired
Is there any way you could stain your cabinets darker? It would great if your cabinets were dark to go more with your counters and then update your hardware too (brushed nickel perhaps?). Any lighter colour wall would look great with that combination as well.
~ Heather, hosting The Forum at www.inspiremeheather.com

Re: wall color to help with light oak kitchen cabinets

denette
No to both.  Cabinets stay as they are.  I hoped to switch the hardware when Menards had a huge selection at .49 a piece which is an incredible deal.  The light fixtures are already brushed nickel.  But new hardware got a hubby veto.
12