sewing for beginners

Missperson
i am a sewing beginner,i have seen lots of beautiful sewing crafts,but most of them needs sewing machines,i  only saw it during my childhood,but i never use it,and do not have ideas if i can make use of it for my sewing wish,anyone,do you have ideas,for sewing,i have to buy a sewing machine?or,to be a beginner,how to get into sewing?any little and cute sewing are suitable for me?how can i get them?
I'm a simple person who loves handmade items and also love to do them by myself. Here, i wanna to make friends with more people and share funny things with them.

Re: sewing for beginners

jenny@birdsandsoap
I would look for a used sewing machine on Craigslist. A lot of older models are made with all metal parts and are more durable than their newer counterparts and you may find one for a steal of a deal. Once you learn the basics, you will find it much less intimidating.

There are lots of beginner's books out there, check your area for beginner sewing classes, or ask a friend who knows how to sew for some basic lessons. I self-taught as a teenager from reading the instruction manual that came with the machine and trial and error.

My friend just received a fun book for her birthday. It's called One Yard Wonders, and it is filled with lots of little projects that only require one yard of fabric. Pick small projects when you begin that can be done fairly quickly. Things take longer as you are learning.

Invest in a nice seam ripper with a comfy grip, as you will find yourself ripping out lots of stitches and re-doing them as you learn.

Singer is a great brand of machine as well as Scandinavian brands like Viking and Elna.

Re: sewing for beginners

Missperson
dear jenny,
thanks very much for your answer,it is very helpful for me
I'm a simple person who loves handmade items and also love to do them by myself. Here, i wanna to make friends with more people and share funny things with them.

Re: sewing for beginners

Jenny - do you have your amazon link to that book?  That sounds RIGHT up my alley -- I've got yards and yards from the remnant bins and am DEFINITELY a beginner :)

Re: sewing for beginners

jenny@birdsandsoap
Here ya go.

 http://www.amazon.com/One-Yard-Wonders-Sewing-Fabric-Projects/dp/1603424490/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355507374&sr=1-1&keywords=one+yard+wonders

Do you use Amazon affiliates? I did, but I made like a penny every three months, so I nixed it.

Re: sewing for beginners

SharonK
Pinterest has a ton of pins for learning to sew.  There's another list kind of like Craigs:  something like freesell or freesale maybe.

Re: sewing for beginners

Freecycle is great Sharon - I've used them before!  My problem with sewing machines is not using them,. but FIXING them when they get jacked up.  The smallest thing seems to throw me for a loop and then I literally can't figure out the smallest issues and the machine sits.  I have two sitting in my closet right now -- needing to be fixed, but I am so not willing to pay the $90 to get them FIXED!  The dilemma!

Jenny - Amazon is the only affiliate I use and I really like them!  Sometimes the profits aren't all that much, but when I have a post that really takes off, I get tons of clicks on a product or two and when those folks buy anything off amazon, I get a small cut.  It lasts for a little while too -- some say 30 days, but I'm not sure it is that long.  In any case, my older amazon links do better than the newer ones because they just keep rolling over traffic constantly.