What was your first DIY?

Melissa-The Happier Homemaker
What was your first big "DIY" project? How did it turn out?

Mine was building a headboard for the Master bedroom.  We used plans from Ana White and It turned out perfectly.  I had researched and researched the building, staining, etc for weeks before I got up the nerve to try it and I was so proud when I finished!

Re: What was your first DIY?

Unskinny Boppy
When I bought my first house I was single, so I was totally on a bare bones budget.  I found this $17 chair on the side of the road that had pine straw stuffing. The vinyl seat looked like someone might have died on it.  I recovered it with a pretty geometric purple and silver fabric and painted the legs purple.  I loved that chair so much! It was uncomfortable as heck, but it was cute!

Re: What was your first DIY?

I have yet to use a plan from Ana white...I really need to tackle that!!
Is the headboard on your blog? I want to see it!

Re: What was your first DIY?

Gwen~ Forum Host
Oh, boy...  My first big DIY was our Pallet Porch swing.  I used plans from California Redwood.  I adapted them, a bit though, to look like the Nantucket swing.  It wasn't too difficult, but if I'd had a table saw or a Miter saw, it would have been so much easier!

You can see it here

http://www.theboldabode.com/2012/08/pallet-porch-swing.html
I host The Forum at
The Bold Abode

Re: What was your first DIY?

HOST: NellieBellie
It turned out amazing!!
Was it more work then you imagined it to be??

Re: What was your first DIY?

My husband built us a couple side tables when we were first renting a house right after we got married, because the living room was TIIIINY, and there was only about a foot and a half of space on either side of the couch. It was his first attempt at woodworking. They were cute, but also very tragic. :) I was kind of worried that we'd be stuck with them forever because of their sentimental value, but he's not married to them, thankfully!

Not that that's "my" first DIY... :)

Re: What was your first DIY?

Gwen, that is a very intense first project to tackle!

Re: What was your first DIY?

Gwen~ Forum Host
Thanks, Janel!

I honestly can't believe it worked...  If I could go back, I'd use real wood, though.  I have found I much prefer using nicer wood for furniture projects.  It's so much easier to use and finish!
I host The Forum at
The Bold Abode

Re: What was your first DIY?

My first DIY was out of boredom.  I couldn't get a job at Mcdonald's (NO JOKE -- they were hiring, but didn't even call me back after putting in an application) and we had just moved out to Nebraska, so I had NO friends.  I went to yard sales, stared buying stuff and brought it all together with a can of black spray paint.

Literally -- sitting out in the middle of the courtyard of our apartment complex, blankets with empty picture frames on top and a can of spray paint.  I guess we all have to start somewhere, right?

Re: What was your first DIY?

Ooo my first real DIY was our kitchen floor. I convinced hubby to nail down planks of wood then we sealed the gaps and then I painted it with porch paint. We LOVE it and paint it all the time to suit whatever window mistreatments are going on!
~ Heather, hosting The Forum at www.inspiremeheather.com

Re: What was your first DIY?

Bekah - Country Mouse Tales
My first DIY was my bedroom when I was 14.  I painted the walls turquoise and then (with help from my dad) hung a wall sized wallpaper mural of a tropical sunset.

It was pretty bonkers, but I LOVED it.  Not surprisingly though, anytime I hear that someone is doing any sort of mural in their home I automatically cringe!
www.countrymousetales.com

Re: What was your first DIY?

That sounds like the quintessential PERFECT teenager room Bekah :)  Why the hate for murals now??

Re: What was your first DIY?

Bekah - Country Mouse Tales
Haha I think because then I lived in that room until I was 20, so after 6 years turquoise+sunset started to get overwhelming.  I have seen some amazing murals, but at first blush I just assume it will look something like mine!

A friend of mine just did a sycamore tree mural thing in their nursery and it is AMAZING.  So I wouldnt say I hate murals, I just dont automatically love them, you know?
www.countrymousetales.com

Re: What was your first DIY?

DreamingofDIY
Hmmm not sure this qualifies, but I painted this huge mural of Shaun Cassidy on my wall when I was a teenager.  I made a maple leaf shelf in shop in the 7th grade.  Other than painting and wallpapering I guess my first real DIY was putting Pergo floors in my first little ranch by myself!  It was fun and aggrevating at the same time.
Kathleen
DreamingofDIY

Re: What was your first DIY?

I was eighteen and renting an apartment with a roommate. I bought a large round coffee table at the thrift store and  sanded it down and refinished it. I ended up painting it several colors (navy, teal, and plum) and using crackle medium over the top (that was so "in" at the time). I was pretty proud of myself.