What to think of when you start blogging

What to think of when you start blogging

Jennah
I've been blogging for a bit over 3 months now. I've been really active, since I'm still waiting for my work permit.

A couple of months into blogging I realized that I haven't really thought things through. I thought the biggest hurdle was to come up with a name for the blog (which took me two weeks). Wow was I wrong.

For example, when I now try to change the design aspect of my blog, I've got about 60 project header photos to mold according to the design I want on the site overall. AAARGH. But it'll be worth it!

Anywho. I thought I would write a  post about all the things to think about when starting a blog, and any ideas you guys might have would be appreciated!

Let me know what your blog link is, so I can credit you for the idea in the post :)

Re: What to think of when you start blogging

Host - Morena
On the technical side, choosing between blogger and wordpress is one of the first big decisions.  Then there's hosting.

On the content side, I think it's important to know what your blog will be about.  Of course you can change that, and it will take a while to find your voice, but to give yourself some direction I think you need to know what your blog is about.  What will keep you motivated and excited to write about, and what will make people want to read your blog?

I blog at www.morenascorner.com

:)

Re: What to think of when you start blogging

Jen Gurka
I'd say the first thing to figure out is your voice and what to blog about. I started my blog on Wordpress, with a completely different title and a TON of Instagram photos, but I slowly evolved and now have found my voice. I think it's about experimenting.

When I was redesigning, I thought a lot about my photography abilities and worked that into my over all design. My last design had a header that used a filter and a color scheme that made it hard to use unfiltered photos without looking stupid. I also thought about how my readers would navigate my page, and planned for the future.

I'm rambling. I'm not even sure if that helps hahahahaha!

Re: What to think of when you start blogging

One of the things that has really guided me the past year as my blog grew heavy with content was to stick close to my themes; Food, Photography, DIY Design and Modern Garden Living.   The majority of posts on my blog sit solidly into one of those categories.   As soon I created my "tagline" of topics, I made a page for each (for Foodies, for Photographers, for DIY folks and for Gardeners).  When I publish a post, it is archived onto the appropriate page.  Not only is it a good system for me to keep things tight and organized, but those pages bring in a LOT of extra hits for readers trying to find more about a certain subject.  Without them, readers would have to press "older post", "older post", "older post" to read my past work or hunt down and pick through all the various tags.

I know that was wordy, but basically -- make pages and have them be your solid categories!

Re: What to think of when you start blogging

Jennah
This is something I try to do, too, and am now trying to keep away some subjects that I haven't focused on lately.... to have room for new ones, obviously :P