Quantcast

What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

Unskinny Boppy
POLL TIME!  I want to hear feedback on the latest trend of substituting videos in place of blog posts.  Do you love watching your favorite bloggers in action?  Do you really have time in your busy day to spend watching these videos or will you skip them if you see them posted on a blog?

There is a part of me that loves the idea of it, and I adore watching my blog friends do their videos.  However, when I see what a huge time-suck this could be it scares me.  I am already so stretched for time that having one more thing to do as a blog reader and writer scares me!

I am trying to decide whether to jump on this bandwagon so I would love to hear your honest feedback.

Re: What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

HOST: NellieBellie
I'm on the fence about it too. I'm thinking of using it a few times as an addition in posts and see what happens. See what kind of response I get.
so, a vlog with tutorial will be in addition to the tutorial on my blog. Just to see.

Re: What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

I love it when my blog friends do it, especially when I haven't met them in person, because I think you get a better feel for who they are that way.

BUT

I am terrified to do my own vlog.  Maybe I need a really good topic or prompt. I think it's a smart thing to do as a blogger!

Re: What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

I like reading blogs, but an occasional video is nice. Yes, you get to see their personality, but you also get to see the awkwardness behind the camera.

I have thought about making one, but my computer is so slow, I dread the thought of editing it. And exposing myself on camera too. It's hard enough to take a decent picture without a double chin, I like the privacy that the written word gives. lol.

Re: What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

you could just do a simple craft tutorial.
Then we can see you do it :).
I think that would be great!

Re: What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

denette
Not a blogger but a reader here.  Yeah, I know this section is for bloggers and I should mind my own business :) :)   But here I am anyway,  yeah, I don't follow the rules.  Anyway, you don't need to do videos on my account unless it is something really unusual or highly technique involved.  Frankly if someone isn't of a crafty sort to begin with, do you think a video of a mod podge frame or Christmas ornament or even upholstery will really help?  The first two I mentioned wouldn't attract many viewers and something as complicated as upholstery is probably already addressed by professionals on youtube.  I can see if it is once in a while that is different.  One of the blogs I follow recently had a video of her answering some questions so the readers could get a better feel for her which was a nice idea.  Truthfully, I didn't watch it but I bet a lot of readers did.  Frankly I like  the usual tutorials with pictures as I can scan through them as quickly or slowly as I like.

Re: What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

Host - Morena
I agree with denette.  If it's something complex that pictures can't convey I might watch it, but I just don't have a ton of free time.  I do have a youtube channel and a couple of short clips.  They get viewed but bring almost NO traffic to my blog.

Re: What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

HOST-Court-Creek Line
If I have the time, I love to watch them. Maybe just cause I'm nosy and I like to peek around in their houses and see a little bit more of their personality. I just think it's a fun way to mix things up every now and then. If a blogger did only video posts, that might get to be a little time-consuming, but one or two is kind neat. :) I even made one awhile back and it was pretty fun. Didn't get a great response, but I think I might like to do it again anyway. Who wants to watch it and laugh at me? Go for it!

http://creeklinehouse.blogspot.ca/2012/04/rag-wreath-tutorial-video.html

Re: What do you think of the new vlogging trend? Google Hangout, Youtube, etc?

It's great to get the perspective of a reader! Glad you chimed in and gave your opinion.
I like the idea of the videos and have used them on my site.
But, I don't personally like to watch them. Because it takes my focus completely.
With regular posts you can scan, read, and it doesn't feel like such a commitment.