Quantcast

Should Shutters Be Shut-Out?

AveNew
We recently had new windows put on our new home. I LOVE the look but shortly after my +1 asked when I planned to put up shutters. Shutters? I hadn't even considered it.

My architectural background tells me that shutters (even faux ones) shouldn't exist unless they are sized to the window- ie: theoretically they would close over the whole window if they were operational. There are so many homes out there with a 12-14" wide aesthetic shutter that it seems old fashioned in most cases. However, I LOVE that it adds another element of color for homes such as ours out of brick.

Do you think shutters are still relevant? Are they out-dated? Is there a better alternative or a happy medium?
Elizabeth @ Ave-New

Everyday inspirations- unique interpretations.
http://ave-new.com

Re: Should Shutters Be Shut-Out?

jenny@birdsandsoap
I think that sizing rule goes out the window these days...there's probably not a single shutter across America that still serves it's intended purpose, Haha. I think that more importantly, they should match the style and period of the house. They are a great opportunity to add some interest and a pop of color on an otherwise plain facade. Good luck!

Re: Should Shutters Be Shut-Out?

I love them!  love love love them!  ...and I love them MUCH more when they actually MOVE!  On my to-do list since the moment we moved in this house is making shutters and window boxes for ALL the windows (my poor husband)!  Someday...someday...

(To show you how determined about good ones I am...Ollies had shutters for 90% off and I STILL couldn't buy the generic plastic ones...couldn't do it...)