New Blogger Fears...

Jen - Girl in the Garage
Do any of you experienced bloggers have any advice or encouragement for a new blogger who is about ready to go live but is terrified?  (That no one will read my blog besides my mother, or no one will like my projects, or that life will get too busy and I won't have enough time to dedicate to it?)  Thanks, I really appreciate it!!!

Re: New Blogger Fears...

Dee @ deeconstructed.com
I just 'went live' too so I hear ya! It's exciting & nerve wracking all at once and I'm pretty sure my husband has heard enough about all of my *great* ideas. :)

So, I'll make you a deal. If you read my blog I promise to read yours. That way more than just our close friends & families will be in the audience.

Deal?

Good luck!
~Dee

www.deeconstructed.com

Re: New Blogger Fears...

Yay for you! I'd say just do it and go live! If you want advice I have some and they are (according to me):
1. Take good photos and post large photos.
2. Make your blog easy to navigate, uncluttered and with text that is easy to read and with clear graphics.
3. You should have an "about me" page, a search bar, a way to contact you (email) and you should put up either a popular posts widget or a project gallery somewhere visible.
4. Get out there and comment on other blogs, network.
5. Be honest and be real and have fun!
~ Heather, hosting The Forum at www.inspiremeheather.com

Re: New Blogger Fears...

Congrats!  How exciting!  I have been blogging for less than a year, so I'm hardly an expert, but I do have some thoughts to share.

First, don't be scared! :) the beauty of blogging is the freedom you have.  You are your own boss.  You get to write what you want, when you want to.  So just have fun with it.  Think of it as an online portfolio.  Create things you love and document them in your blog.  If nothing else, you're creating a treasury for yourself and your family.

I agree wth Heather.  Good  photos are a must.  Network with other bloggers.  The Forum is a great place to do that, and there are groups on FB (like the Creative Bloggers Collective).  In the beginning, most of your support will come from other bloggers.

Baby is calling...will try to add more later.  Good luck!!

Re: New Blogger Fears...

I love all of Heather's suggestions and would like to add be patient.  It takes time to grow. My blog has been around for about 16 months and until 5 months ago I had like 10 facebook fans.  Once you start to grow it gets seems to snowball. Pay attention to what you like about other blogs/bloggers then implement it on your blog-design style, various ways of setting up your blog, etc.

Re: New Blogger Fears...

Great suggestions so far! I remember that feeling, and also being nervous to ask questions at the end of my posts because I was nervous no one would comment. It's hard to put yourself out there, but every giant blog started with one post that only their mama read. :)  Let us know when you go live and we'll hop over and say hi!

Re: New Blogger Fears...

Jen - Girl in the Garage
Thanks everyone for your advice!   I did start promoting my blog yesterday, especially through my facebook friends.   No turning back now!   I'm so glad a place like this exists so I can "meet" other bloggers and come here for help or inspiration.   =)

Re: New Blogger Fears...

DeDe
Jen, I suggest you start to follow other bloggers.  You will learn so much from them and you will see other features you like about their blogs and can start to incorporate new features to your own blog.  I started blogging 7 months ago and it has been a major learning curve.  I have learned so much and have changed a lot of things since that first post.  It takes a lot of time, effort and patience.  By the way no one in my family has started to follow my blog, so sometimes you can even count on them to read it!
http://designeddecor.wordpress.com/
I will come over and follow you!
DeDe

Re: New Blogger Fears...

Nancy@ArtsyChicksRule
This post was updated on .
I just went "live"  this week. I signed up for my blog in MAY  so it's taken me awhile! I definitely had (have!) blogger fears. I actually wrote a post about it and just posted it today!! That would make post #3 for me!!  Slow and steady. ;)

( Kelly at View Along the Way, I cannot tell you how excited I was when you followed me back on Twitter, btw..., so crazy, right? But you were the first to follow me back...and actually not many have, so thank you :) !)

I have 3 whole posts on my blog so far (and I neurotically keep going back to them wondering what I should change,.. oy, I hope I relax soon!)...no comments of course.

And I still don't understand a lot of things like,  link parties, linking people's posts to or from other blogs (are we allowed to? how do we? ), putting other blog links at the ends of our posts?? (is that mutual? do we ask, share?) and more.

Something I read on Pinterest just recently was in really perfect timing for me to see....that's so great when that happens,
"Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle".

Perfect, right?

I wrote it down and look at those words every day. It has actually been a helpful reminder for me.

And as you can see, I'm a long winded talker! I've been looking at others "About Me" page and I think mine may be too long.....might revise.....again.

Anyway, sorry I don't have any advice for you ..since I'm right where you are! Just wanted you to know I can definitely relate. :)

I'm so glad to have found this wonderful resource....this great group .... to learn from and interact with!
Also in perfect timing!! :)

Re: New Blogger Fears...

Rita@thissortaoldlife
After a little more than a year (with my 2nd blog), I'd say the most important thing is to know why you're blogging. All the decisions about how to do it are easier when you know why you're doing it.

It's easy to get sucked into feeling competitive and start to drive yourself (and the people who love you) crazy. Staying grounded in why I'm blogging helps me do it in a way that works for me. And the other thing: Know it's a journey and love the journey. You can learn as you go. It's a very forgiving medium.

Good luck!

Re: New Blogger Fears...

Have fun!!
That's the best advice I can give or has been given to me. As long as you like who you are, what you do, and what your blog is...that's what matters. And...it will shine through to your readers.

Re: New Blogger Fears...

That is a great quote!  I'm going to borrow that.  :)

Crafterminds.com is a great resource....you'll find a lot of answers there!