Quantcast

Kid's Pictures/Schoolwork-Keep it or Toss it?

Kid's Pictures/Schoolwork-Keep it or Toss it?

Melissa-The Happier Homemaker
Okay, my boys are 1, 4, and 5 years old so we've jsut entered the world of drawing (real) pictures and schoolwork fairly recently.  I have a problem that I can't throw anything they make away.  I seriously have boxes of it! Every. Kindergarten. Worksheet.  Help!

How do you decide what to toss and what to keep? How do you organize it all?

Re: Kid's Pictures/Schoolwork-Keep it or Toss it?

Unskinny Boppy
I have this same issue!  I cannot bring myself to toss it.

I have seen people take pictures and make photobooks with them, but to me that's just not the same (plus it's work).

I have a binder from his teachers so I really should go and keep them all in binders by year but hahaha that's even more work.

Um... if anyone can help please let me know!

Re: Kid's Pictures/Schoolwork-Keep it or Toss it?

I love the photobook idea, I've seen it recently and think it's grand! That way, no faded pages and odd sizes to keep in order No dried macaroni to bulk up folders or glitter to fall off everywhere.. I've taken a few pictures of my preschoolers' work. I'm unscrupulous! Only the good ones that aren't written on bills or junk paper or have misspelled words. Just kidding.

My mother had a file box for me (I'd say she had one for each of her kids, but I was an only child). She just kept adding stuff to the box throughout my childhood. I think she only made it to the fourth grade, but hey, her intentions were good. Can you imagine how cool that would be when your child gets married or has their first baby, to give over all of those sweet childhood sentiments? Boys could probably care less, but you know their wives would think it is sweet. My dad was an identical twin, and my grandmother kept one of my Uncle's essays. He was eight and it began with "I was born on a dark, cold, rainy night (not true, it was afternoon in September)....life ain't been no crystal staircase for me." huh? I still laugh thinking about it. It is like watching Bill Cosby host "Kids Say the Darnedest Things."

I saw the sweetest pin the other day for this... Get a copy of Dr. Seuss' Oh the places you'll Go. Each year, have your child's teacher fill out a page at year's end with a note, poem, etc. Keep it a secret and present the book to your child upon graduation. Isn't that the sweetest? Of course, we are homeschooling so our's would read: "You were the best student, Smartest kid in your class. You were my favorite. Mommy loves you." -just doesn't have the same appeal.

I would do a file system. Break paperwork down by month, then only select a dozen or so from each month, and combine them at years end. That's not that big of a folder, right? By fifth grade, they will be bringing home less and less art projects and fewer worksheets. It's just the cutesy crafts early writing that gets right to your heart.

Re: Kid's Pictures/Schoolwork-Keep it or Toss it?

Make a photobook!! Seriously...the coolest thing ever! I am so glad I started doing that years ago. Now I have this stack of "coffee table" books that are my kids art. They look like little art museum books...so cute!