Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

Dee

Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

Dee
Here's a bit of a vent/rant to start the morning off - do you ever feel like the time you take to write the text for a blog is wasteful because people really only look at the pictures? I reposted a great blog on FB that a buddy wrote and my IRL friends 1) complimented me on my great project & 2) completely overlooked the actual project in lieu of the inspiration (then went on to say what was missing from that piece but was A PART OF the final project!) Ugh. Happy Monday! :)

Re: Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

Host {Heather} Inspired
Yes, sad but it's true. Don't worry about the person that just looked at the photos because ten more people actually read your post.
~ Heather, hosting The Forum at www.inspiremeheather.com

Re: Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

yes yes yes a million times yes!  I get it though -- I know there are only so many hours in day, but it is most annoying when someone makes a mean-ish comment about something that is explained in the text.  Enough time to make a mean comment, but not to read?  PSHAW.

Re: Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

jenny@birdsandsoap
No joke, Take the time to read the entire post before you comment! Otherwise, you just look like a fool because it points out your overlooking the whole thing.
Dee

Re: Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

Dee
Thank you guys for responding & sharing in my frustration. I am finding that I don't enjoy blogging about projects as much as I do actually DOING the projects and would really like a 'blog buddy' or two to commiserate with.

Other people have to be experiencing the same things right? I am not a moron. I know how to write (English major) and I understand social media. Just last night on my "personal" FB a few "friends" admitted they haven't bothered to even link over to my blog & blamed being too busy/not knowing how to use their phones as the culprit.

Seriously?

In the same breath I got "what have you been up to? I haven't seen you around!" UGH.

Anyhow - before I remove 30+ year friends from my life - is there anyone else who would be willing to chatter about the pitfalls of blogging in closed forum (email, FB chat)?

I could use a little support & I'm certainly not getting it from folks IRL.

Thanks!

Re: Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

laura@Top This Top That
Dee- I told myself early on that unfortunately you gotta take the good with the bad ( comments, etc) in the blogging world. I thankfully have not had any negative comments, yet and if I do, good for them. I actually want people to express themselves ( with tact and kindness of course) and comment , it shows that they are comfortable with me and my style- enough to take that risk.
What I find in my year of blogging is that the projects that I spend the least amount of time get all the rant and rave and the ones' that I apply a lot of time and pressure on myself get nada- crickets, silence. So,,,, I have begun to eliminate the pressure to get things done for the sake of getting a post out there and work on "island" time .

Re: Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

Host - Morena
I agree with Laura.

It took me a while to get comments, and, honestly, I do a terrible job commenting, so it doesn't get to me too much.  I think that the fact that we are in a visual field combined with a lot of people using mobile devices inhibits comments.  The bulk of my traffic is from craftgawker, and 15-20% of my visitors speak a language other than English, so I've always tried to make my posts more visual than words.  It does sometimes feel like I'm talking to myself, so page views and pins serve as my "validation" more than comments do.

Dee

Re: Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

Dee
I suppose I wasn’t clear – the ‘comments’ were from my actual real life friends on my FB about the repost. It was obvious they didn’t read the blog or they would have known it wasn’t my blog or my project at all. I guess I should just be happy they said anything even though it reflected negatively anyhow. But thanks for sharing with me how you respond to the lack of comments on your posts/blog because that is something that irritates me too. I guess the world isn’t as talkative as I am – I comment on EVERYTHING! :)

Re: Is a picture really worth 1000 words??

Host - Morena
Oh, I see what you meant!  That is frustrating!