I want to buy a cutting mat

brookee
I went to buy a cutting mat today, but was overwhelmed at the huge variety I found today at Jo-Ann, so I walked out without one.

I want to make sure I buy something that I'll be happy with and will get a lot of use our of since they are a little expensive.

I forsee myself the cutting mat as a measuring tool and work surface for simple sewing projects, mod podge &maybe doing some stencil/vinyl cutting.

It needs to be easy to store bc I do most of my crafting in the dining room and everything goes in a small closet when not in use.

Do you have any recommendation for what kind of cutting mat I should buy?

What size do you recommend?

Any special features it should be sure to have?

Thanks.

Re: I want to buy a cutting mat

jenny@birdsandsoap
I have an Omnigrid cutting mat that is 18x30" wide. It works great for me. I don't have a dining table, but I just throw it on the floor when I need to do cutting. Sometimes I wish I had a giant-sized mat, but this size stores well. The mat is great because it is flexible and I curve it around inside my cabinet or put it behind a piece of furniture when I am not using it.

I don't think that the mat is as important per se (they all seem to be the same self-healing material), but the straight edge you will use as a cutting guide is my most welcomed tool. I would suggest one as long as your mat, and fairly thick; I have a thin, flimsy one, it is very easy for my rotary blade to skip over the edge while I am cutting. That's kinda dangerous, so I would get one that is 1/16-1/8" thick so it will press your fabric down evenly when you apply pressure and keep your blade right along the side of it. My father-in-law purchased a thick strip of plexi-glass material and glued a little bit of rubberized grip material to the back, it is a nice guide for a straight edge even without the measurements printed and it stays put.

Re: I want to buy a cutting mat

SharonK
I've got several cutting mats in different sizes by different manufacturers: omnigrid and fiskars come to mind.  Any mat I've bought from Joann Fabrics has been good.

What size I need (want) has driven which brand I've bought.  Love the Joann 50% off coupons!!!

BTW: I do have a blade protector.  It's a really good idea when you're using a rotary cutter.  I also have a metal ruler and a corner square from the hardware shop that I've used to protect me from the blade when I'm using an exacto knife.  Hope this helps