How do you pick your paint colors?

Gwen~ Forum Host
What's your favorite brand of paint and how do you go about picking colors?  Are you a sample kinda painter or do you pick a color, throw caution to the wind and go for it?
I host The Forum at
The Bold Abode

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

Kelly@ViewAlongTheWayHOST
I've tried most kinds of paint and I keep going back to Lowe's Valspar. I just think it covers the best, even better than Benjamin Moore, although they have the best colors!

I used to throw caution to the wind, pick a paint chip and go for it, but I'm *finally* starting to learn that this process leads to repainting multiple times and my poor husband can only tolerate so much of that. :) Now I try to do it the "right" way: look at paint chips IN the room, choose my top two or three, buy sample pots, and choose from there.

It's really hard when you're a VERY impatient person. :)

I'm curious to see what brands everyone else likes!

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

LiveLoveDIY
I am SO a 'throw caution to the wind' kinda painter. I've repainted 3 of my rooms twice. CLEARLY I need to become a sample painter! But....I get so impatient! Plus, you really never know what it's going to look/feel like until the whole room is drenched in the color! :)
Virginia
Forum Host
www.livelovediy.com

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

LiveLoveDIY
Oh, and I tend to always use Behr & Glidden. 1) Home Depot is closest 2) I'm cheap and 3) if you ask, they'll mix and brand's colors in any other brand. I take in BM paint colors a lot and have them mix it in Glidden because it's only $20/gallon! Works great!
Virginia
Forum Host
www.livelovediy.com

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

I love Valspar paint from Lowes. I have used it for years and it has always given me great results. I also don't mind  like Olympic paint either.

I've painted every room in my house at least twice. The only color I've deeply regretted was red. We were newlyweds and just bought our house, so I just wanted to go for something bold against the all white walls I had always grown up with.

Guess what? Red is not an easy color to choose. I picked a dark brick red and it was just a little too heavy with orangey brown undertones. And then I painted the ceiling red too! That was a bad move because the room has low ceilings and it just made it feel like a torture chamber.

If that didn't teach me, I painted our bedroom red next. This time, I found the perfect shade and planned a cool treatment with the top 1/3 of the wall cream and below that red with a hand painted wavy vine  to separate the margin. I was not so confident in my design choice at that point, and asked my husband for his honest opinion, After a long silent pause, he  said it looked like Taco Time. He was right, our "romantic getaway" looked like a brothel on Taco Tuesday. Not really a place to relax, but it really put you in the mood for a gordita.

After the red phase, I got a 5 gallon bucket of paint from the mistint shelf and went beige. I found that I like neutral earth tones and pops of color with accents. That way, when my taste changes and I'm wanting a new vibe for the room, I just change out the pillows and artwork instead of repainting the whole space.  I have enjoyed that for several years now.

However, at one point, I painted my tiny dining room periwinkle (like the color of a bright blue hydrangea) and I have always missed it. It was so bright and cheery.

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

Bliss Ranch
I have the worst luck with paint colors Gwen.  The rule here is if I paint once you can bet it needs to be redone with a better color.  Sometimes I even buy samples first and I still get it wrong.

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

Know what, this is what I told my friend when I wasn't around to help her pick out colours: choose a fabric you like first. If it's a bedroom you're doing then pick out your comforter first and then get the paint colours from that. Same with living room, pick out some patterned pillows you love and pull your colours from that!
~ Heather, hosting The Forum at www.inspiremeheather.com

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

It takes me FOREVER to pick colors.  :)  I have to find an inspiration piece (ie, comforter, wall art, etc) and then pull from that.  I like Pittsburgh Paint.

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

That's what I do!

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

Host: Setting for Four
We just repainted our lower level Sherwin Williams Mindful Gray and Mink...they turned out gorgeous, my first try at grays and I say go for it!  I bought a few sample test pots and painted some dollar store canvases and moved them around the rooms to see how they looked in the different light...that technique works great!  It's too hard to tell from a little chip how a whole room will look! Sherwin Williams paint if fabulous and goes on like a dream!

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

Karah @ the space between
I, too, am a lover of Valspar paint from Lowe's!  Just the best bang for the buck.

I used a technique on two of our houses that worked really well for us.  Pick three different colors off of the same paint chip for most rooms.  If the paint chip has 7 colors on it I have a wide spectrum to pick from and I always know there is going to be flow from room to room.

Then I pick a wild card room, just for fun.  In our first house it was a deep red in the dining room and in our last house it was a sunshiny yellow in the guest room, oh and a sky blue in the sun room.

I host the FORUM at the space between

Re: How do you pick your paint colors?

Missperson
hum, to tell the truth, i 'm not a person who tends to limit myself in one brand. So i can have a wide range of choices. Besides, i also love to pick a color with my heart which will give me more inspirations.
I'm a simple person who loves handmade items and also love to do them by myself. Here, i wanna to make friends with more people and share funny things with them.