How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

Kelly@ViewAlongTheWayHOST
Sometimes I think we DIY a little TOO much, like we end up saving $5 but it took us an hour. :) How do you decide what's worth making vs buying? Is it a money thing, or do you just enjoy DIYing?

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

denette
I have more time than money plus I like creating something.  I like going back into the room and thing, I did that.  I made some new pillow covers and someone asked why I didn't just buy them.  To be honest, it didn't even occur to me to buy as I figured they would be expensive.  So I looked, and they were more expensive and didn't have much of a selection compared to all the fabric in a fabric store.

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

I automatically go the DIY route on most projects. I think I am so used to shopping at Goodwill for things to spruce up and transform, that I can't handle the sticker shock of retail pricing! Sad, but true.

I save way more money when I have time to plan. If it's a "quick and easy project" that I get a wild hair to do and just need to run to the store to get a few things, I am usually spending more than it's worth had I shopped for fabric on sale, used coupons, bought paint of the mistint shelf, etc.

That's where my hoarding comes into play. My husband just cannot appreciate how much I save in the long run by collecting things along the way "for a future project" rather than buying things at top dollar when we need them. Can someone explain this argument to the guy? lol.

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

I end up DIY'ing mostly to get the custom item that I can't find in stores. It would take me waayyy to long shopping to get everything together!
~ Heather, hosting The Forum at www.inspiremeheather.com

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

I DIY when I enjoy it. Or don't mind it looking "crafted".
But, I don't DIY if it's going to take hours ...unless I just can't find what I want.

You are right....time is worth something too!

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

I probably DIY more than I should given how little time I have to spare but basically-I'm cheap.  I grew up without a lot of money and I don't like to spend money on home decor.  I tend to splurge on experiences-dinners out, vacations, not things.  Plus I won't pay for something if I think I might be able to make it myself...even if sometimes the time investment isn't worth it.

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

Host: Setting for Four
I DIY when I can't find something I want, in the color I want or the item is just too expensive. Recently, I tried to find an inexpensive neutral colored fall leaf garland and all I could find were ones in super bright orange and red colors.  So I bought one and am painting it to cover over the bright orange!  It's taking some time, but it's going to turn out pretty great I think (Hope!).  I just love experimenting too! Otherwise I buy on sale and shop at Homesense/ TJMaxx types of stores.  Sometimes I buy things in the clearance sections that just need a little love to repair or fix too and the discounts can be great!

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

HOST-Court-Creek Line
I'm just cheap. I really need to get over it sometimes I think. It gets to the point where I will really beat myself up for not being able to come up with a way to make something absolutely perfect for absolutely nothing. That being said, when I'm actually successful, it's such a rush!!

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

Ginger @ Literally Inspired
I enjoy doing projects but I won't DIY if it is way beyond my skill level or if it will take a long amount of time. Sometimes it is worth it to just pay the cash to get someone to do it for me. If it is a small project, I will definitely do it myself. If I do buy something I will thrift it or buy it on clearance. If it isn't 50% off or more I won't buy it. I can't stomach paying retail. I am cheap and I know it.

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

Gwen~ Forum Host
I DIY almost everything.  It's just too foreign to me to buy something retail.  Plus, I get something that no one else has.  I have this serious issue with being different and you can't buy that in any store, right? ha!
I host The Forum at
The Bold Abode

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

Unskinny Boppy
ITA with you Kelly.  I have tried to learn my limits on DIYing and choose my projects wisely.  I know I can't sew to save my life, so anything sewing related is pretty much an automatic nonDIY unless I can stitchwitch it.    If it's something that I KNOW took hours and I absolutely love it I will buy it instead of DIYing because I'm just too busy somedays.   If it costs a crazy amount of  money and I love it, I will try to DIY first.

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

Karah @ the space between
I have just learned the 'how much is my time worth' argument.  Admittedly it took me many an hour working on mind numbing projects.  Live and learn and then DIY it again. ;)

I host the FORUM at the space between

Re: How do you decide whether to buy or DIY?

alexwilbert
I think DIY gives you satisfaction of the way you wanted to create you made it exactly. It give you much fun and joy.