HELP HELP HELP! School Lunches!

So I have two littles at the age where they need lunches packed.  We've done ok, but I am dying trying to think of new, healthy, EASY and quick additions to lunches.  I love the idea of Bento boxes and cute little animal faces for the kids, but let's face it -- 6 AM in the morning with morning sickness??  Yeah -- that is not happening!

Here is what we have so far:

cheesesticks (various -- mozzarella, babybells, slices of cheese)
crackers (various -- try for whole wheat)
yogurts (sticks and jugs)
veggies (carrots are one of the few that get eaten at school -- peppers do ok....any other suggestions?!?)
fruits (lots of dried fruits, some whole fruits -- they are far better with fruit than veggies at school.  Small apples work best)
Drinks - juice boxes,water bottles
Sandwiches - sometimes the classic pb and j or cheese and mustard, usually on those little goldfish breads

SO HELP!  Can you see my originality has RUN OUT when it comes to school lunches?!?  I NEED your help!

Re: HELP HELP HELP! School Lunches!

jenny@birdsandsoap
Morning sickness?!

Congrats! Yay! I l already thought you had four, didn't realize one was cookin.'

hmmm. lunches? That's a tough one. One of my children is extremely picky and she tends to stick with one thing for a long time before she ventures to a new food. The other one will try anything as long as you tell her it tastes good first.

Here's what I've got off the top of my head:

Hummus and pita bread

My kids love to make their own burritos. You could make them a DIY lunch so they get to add their own fillings and roll it up themselves.

Trail mix.

Pasta salad with chicken. my kids love anything with grilled chicken. Or even chicken salad with crackers (one of my faves)

Soup in the thermos thing. I always wanted that when I was a kid.

Re: HELP HELP HELP! School Lunches!

YUp - one is still a cookin :)

Burritos is a good idea!  What do you use that is good cold?  Is the pasta salad cold too?  Or do you heat it up and use a thermos?  I haven't ventured over into hot food in lunch boxes -- maybe that is my problem.....and soup......hmm....

Re: HELP HELP HELP! School Lunches!

jenny@birdsandsoap
Unless there is access to a microwave, I guess everything would be served cold, burrito included. I think it would still taste good though...

chopped chicken, refried beans, cheese. still good cold.

and cold pasta salad. like the Costco kind. it's so good.

I was thinking hot soup. I guess you could warm anything in those thermoses. I don't know how long they keep things hot, but it would be a nice change from a cold lunch.

those bento boxes are insane. Those are made for magazine ads, normal parents  read those ads and say "that's neat" and then go back to pb and j.

They would be fun for a party meal, but I draw the line at 2 hours of intensive labor for a sack lunch.