Gardening Checklist for January

Just submitted by Houzz garden checklist for January and am wondering what is on YOUR list this month for your garden.  Do you just let it rest in peace or are you prepping for the spring already?  Any great links to seed companies?

Re: Gardening Checklist for January

Finished article is here~  http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/6019412/list/Mid-Atlantic-Gardener-s-January-Checklist

It's all about compost pots and enjoying those rose-colored views of the garden!

Re: Gardening Checklist for January

jenny@birdsandsoap
I had a question about your compost pots: Do they start to stink? Just wondering since you said you keep them warm or indoors. Does the soil cover up all the junk or do they get "ripe?"

Re: Gardening Checklist for January

They don't start to stink because keep the indoor ones pretty limited to things like teabags, the paper wrappers from tea, coffee filters and grounds, onion peels and then a few fruit and veggie peels.  Big things like melon rinds/squash rinds and whole fruit that is starting to go bad goes straight to the outdoor pile.  Also, I cover each layer of "composty" stuff with soil or paper, so that keeps things from getting stinky.

The problem I DO have indoors with compost are little whiteflies.  They start to get really bad this time of year (feb/march) with indoor plants and compost buckets inside so long, so when they begin to really be annoying the whole pot goes outside and the flies are taken care of quickly by chickens/birds/etc.  I lose a few plants each year because the pots go out too early (namely potatoes from kitchen scraps, so no huge loss), but they will often come back once the weather warms up outdoors.

That was kind of a wordy answer -- sorry jenn!! :)