Quantcast

FB posts not showing in fans' news feeds

FB posts not showing in fans' news feeds

Jen - Girl in the Garage
Ok I knew something was up even though I've only been blogging a little over a month now.  Did you all realize that less than 20% of your Facebook fans ever even see your posts in their news feeds?  Holy cow!   It has decreased dramatically lately due to FB wanting to make money off you promoting your page.   I read about it on Blogging with Amy - http://bloggingwithamy.com/facebook-edgerank/   and also at Mashable - http://mashable.com/2012/08/30/improve-facebook-edgerank/
What do you guys think?   Is there anything you've done that has seemed to help?
I posted yesterday and it didn't even show up in my mother's news feed.   =(

Re: FB posts not showing in fans' news feeds

not even in your MOMs?  That's awful!

I think I read that same thing by Amy and it works!

You just hover over the # of people that have seen any of your posts and it will show you which post of yours has been the most popular.  Supposedly it can help you do more posts like that one to get more traffic.

For me, I've found that NOT posting links helps!  I just post general status updates and pictures to get people involved and then now and then post a link instead of always posting links.  It has helped!!

Dee

Re: FB posts not showing in fans' news feeds

Dee
You have to realize it's not anything you are doing wrong (or anything you can even do to change it) it's your audience that is uneducated about the changes in Facebook.

People approve friend requests and like pages left & right. Then they passively sit back waiting for FB to spoon-feed them content.

That's not how it works. If they want the information - they have to go get it. There are 2 options in the left side menu bar on FB folks are completely oblivious to. The first is "Lists". If folks would utilize lists for "close friends", "family", "acquaintances" and so on then they would get every single status update for everyone on their list instead of relying on FB to determine what is & isn't important to populate their newsfeed. (They should also learn to toggle between Top Stories & Most Recent because the default has no chronological sense whatsoever.)

Secondly, pages don't typically show up on a person's feed unless they actively engage the page. So unless your mom is constantly patting you on the back via your page -she isn't going to see it unless she pans down on her page and clicks the "PAGES" link.

There she will find a treasure trove of all the pages she's ever clicked "Like" on.

I don't know how to get this message out to folks & FB certainly isn't bending over backwards to clue people in. Because if they did, they wouldn't have sponsored posts from frustrated vendors. :)