Editing Programs

jenny@birdsandsoap
I am so excited because we will be getting a new computer soon!

We have had the same computer for 8 YEARS! You feel like you are getting punished every time you click something because of the time constraints or fear of  freezing. Not only is surfing the net painful (it feels like dial-up), but all of our programs run at a snail's pace.

Part of my blogging frustration comes from the sheer amount of time it takes to edit just one photo, let alone an entire post. I want to throw this beast out the window!

So, for the new computer, we are ordering Adobe Elements and Premiere elements. Both are programs I've never used before. My friend gave me an older version, but I never installed it because I knew my computer couldn't take it. That, and the time suck required to learn a new program was more than I could take at the time. I am not good at shutting things down, and I can totally see myself throwing the kids a box of cereal and a bag of frozen chicken nuggests and  hyper-focusing on the computer for a week while my hair builds up a nice oil slick from a lack of bathing and what not.

With the new year, I am ready to "Do Less," as Amy put it so profoundly. I am all about efficiency. So if it means I learn a few new tricks to make things easier down the road, then so be it.

I've been using random photo editing programs for ever. An HP program that came with my computer, then more recently, Canon's Digital Photo Professional. I had never worked with RAW photos till I upgraded my DSLR a few months ago and it has opened up a whole new world of required processing.

I would like to streamline things a bit, and also have more functionality between jumping from program to program to finalize my pictures. It goes like this: I process the photos with the canon program, possibly more editing with the HP program, then format them and add graphics with Microsoft Publisher. It's too much. I've been doing things the hard way for too long because it is what I know.

So, tell me about your photo-editing! What does it look like for you? DO you use free programs like PicMonkey? How about processing Raw Photos? Watermarks? Which programs are your favorites? Which do you avoid?

Re: Editing Programs

weeeeeellllll, I'm going to open a big ol can of worms and say skip raw for now.   It will definitely clog up your nice, new shiny computer while you are learning a new program and if you don't need to "recover" photos (as wedding photags sometimes do), I wouldn't worry about it.  Shoot in a medium-high resolution jpg (depending on how large your camera will create photos) and go from there,

I'm interested to hear how things go with Elements :)