Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Unskinny Boppy
After visiting Amish country and seeing all the clothes hanging on the lines last week it made me think about how much money it would save to hang our stuff our to dry on a clothes line.   We're so far back in the woods nobody would see it but us.  I can remember my mom hanging our clothes on the line when I was a little girl.

Would you do it? DO you do it?

I did, however, see more than my fair share of skid marked Amish underwear last week, so.... that's a deterrent.

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Melissa-The Happier Homemaker
When I was dating/first married to my husband we lived in Italy in a building where each floor was one apartment.  We occupied the top (4th) floor.  The washing machine in our apartment was BOTH a washer and dryer.  And totally ineffective.It fit like two pairs of jeans in it and never dried anything so when the temps were above freezing I hung our laundry out...the back balconies on all the apartments had lines over the railings.  I love it but not for jeans-jeans always felt crispy to me when line dried and I like mine soft.

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

oh totally agree with the "crispy" jeans and towels too!  I do hang some heavy stuff out when it is hot out to save a little energy for the dryer.  I like the smell of sun-dried clothes, but dragging them up from the laundry room to get them out on the porch would be a chore and a half...

I wish there was a machine you could just toss your clothes in and it would string them out on a line, through the wall and outside....of course that would kind of defeat the purpose of saving energy on the dryer....hmmm...

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

RCHOTX Heather
I hung my clothes out to dry (by choice) up until very recently (like last month recently). I live in a suburb of Fort Worth, so it's not like I'm out in the country either! I did it 1) because I am paranoid that my clothes will shrink in the dryer, and 2) because I have an awesome clothesline in my backyard.

I only hung my CLOTHES out to dry - no bras or underwear. Bras can hang indoors, and underwear can go in the dryer!

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Melissa-The Happier Homemaker
My HOA actually doesn't "allow" us to have clotheslines in our yard in our current neighborhood!

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Roxie
Yes, I hang most of my laundry to dry.  I live in Texas and it seems like the weather is always nice enough to hang laundry.  I use a drying rack inside when it rains.  I use my dryer only for my husband's work clothes.

I remember hanging laundry as a child.  It is always a good feeling to sleep on sheets that came in off a line.

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Totally agree with that Roxie -- like you are breathing in fresh air as you sleep....lovely...

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

I grew up watching my grandma line-dry everything. She only used her dryer in the winter. Line-dried clothes do have a distinctive sunshine smell that is oh-so-nice, but the crispiness of the clothes is too much for me. And they stretch funny depending on how they are hung.

I would not do well in an Armageddon-type situation, I'm afraid.

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

We always, always hang dry our cloth diapers. I realize I sound super granola right now. :)  But I usually hang them on a drying rack inside unless it's summertime.

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Bliss Ranch
I considered it 20 years ago when I asked my husband to get me a nice set of heavy duty clothes line poles.  He never got around to that, so I never got around to hanging out laundry.

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage
It's not really effective here in rainy Oregon ~ lol~ And when it's sunny, we get a lot of wind. My mom does though (CA) and just loves it. It would be great to have fresh, line dried sheets though :) Yum!!

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

I love the idea of hanging out my clothes. And should. I'm just too darn lazy. that's the truth of it.

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

denette
YES

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

noreg1969
I have always had clotheslines or racks . I l.ove the scent of clothes dried in the sun, no fabric softener smells that good.  Of course I am so old-fashioned that I give most things and "lick and a promise" with my steam iron, so jeans are not a problem. I do use the dryer for my towels, sheets and blankets. It makes a difference now that I am retired and have (ha, ha) more time.  When I worked full time with 4 children, I used my dryer thru the week and the lines on Sat.

Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Cheri
We aren't allowed to do it but I have put things out on a table to help sun bleach a stain away.

Re: Do you or would you consider hanging your clothes to dry?

Host:  Mary Beth ~ C & C
I love hanging my clothes to dry. I like to do it, weather permitting. My laundry room isn't big enough to allow for hanging down there but sometimes, on a nice sunny winter day, I do hang laundry in my sunroom. (it's in the back of the house so only I know ~ the neighbors might have a hissie if they saw it!)
Mary Beth @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
http://cupcakesandcrinoline.com/