Quantcast

DIY DON'TS

So I am a DIY junkie, but I know I'm not the only one that has had a PINFAIL.  You know -- when you try DIYing something you really shouldn't have?  What has been your worst flop and what are things you just REALLY shouldn't DIY??

Re: DIY DON'TS

Melissa-The Happier Homemaker
My biggest DIY fails have realy been more of "learning experiences." When I built my son's headboard (http://www.thehappierhomemaker.com/2012/07/diy-beadboard-headboard.html) I did it without plans and the first time it totally fell apart when I tried to carry it in the house.  So I learned to use screws instead of nails ;) The only things I won't at least consider DIYing are the things that might require a huge monetary investment to DIY-I have a big reality check system when it comes to my family's budget!

Re: DIY DON'TS

oh my goodness...screws in stead of nails,...I have TOTALLY done that before.  Can't find the right hardware, so I just use whatever and it is ALWAYS a disaster ;)

Re: DIY DON'TS

Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection
A majority of my projects are DIY dont's about halfway through. I always finish them though, even if it takes me a month and I want to throw it out the window.

Re: DIY DON'TS

Most our DIY flops have been projects that just ended up costing more money than we expected or took so much longer than we thought, that it would've been smarter just to buy the real thing.

Re: DIY DON'TS

covering my popcorn ceiling in dropcloth because I was too lazy to scrape. Yes, it's still there. Yes, it still looks awful. Being lazy is my DIY Don't.

Re: DIY DON'TS

Unskinny Boppy
Since I can't think of any decor related DIY's here is one I won't be doing again- homemade hot wings.  I tried deep frying them on our outside grill, and they took FOREVER.  I could have driven to Buffalo Wild Wings, eaten, licked my fingers and been back on my couch in the time it took me to cook one batch.

Re: DIY DON'TS

HOST: NellieBellie
:0 this is funny! But, now I am hungry.
I love hot wings and would have been sooo disappointed!

Re: DIY DON'TS

SO FUNNY Janel!!  We removed the popcorn ceiling in a tiny hallway of our first house and it was horrible!

Re: DIY DON'TS

HOST: NellieBellie
Oh it's awful!
I actually scraped my hallway when I redid it.
But, when I painted the ceiling it peeled. It looks like an old house now. It's awful!
I guess I didn't get all of the material off they used for the texture.
I am so disgusted. Ack. those dumb popcorn ceilings!

Re: DIY DON'TS

Worst ever was tiling our kitchen floor a few years ago. We got free tile from a friend and scored a great deal on stock cabinets and decided to gut our kitchen. We had zero budget, therefore, no money aside for things like when we discovered  a rotted out subfloor under the sink. We laid down cheap ceramic tile on an unevenly patched floor.

What a disaster! It looked great for a couple of months, then one by one, the tiles started cracking. I guess it was a blessing in disguise when our water heater leaked over the summer, because we got the opportunity to replace the whole thing!

I have now gutted my kitchen TWICE. But this time, all new subfloor (completely level), and twice as thick porcelain tile.

Re: DIY DON'TS

candace@painted-luxury.com
My DIY fail has been over something I saw on Pinterest. I wanted to paint the inside of glass bottles to make them different colors. My local Michael's was putting the paint and coating on clearance so I had to go to 4 Michael's before I found the right stuff. Then when I did the project the paint kept running. I hated the outcome but redid it 3 or 4 times because I couldn't figure out what went wrong. I finally ended up throwing the bottles out a few months ago because I couldn't stand to look at them anymore!
Candace Roberts
www.painted-luxury.com
www.facebook.com/paintedluxury

Re: DIY DON'TS

LiveLoveDIY
ha! Seriously, the majority of projects I do become a total fail. But then, I keep at 'em until they start getting less fail-ey! It usually works....only rarely do I just have to chuck stuff! :)
Virginia
Forum Host
www.livelovediy.com

Re: DIY DON'TS

Bliss Ranch
I'm the same as Janel....... I take shortcuts because the long way sounds like too much work, and every time I do I need the thump my head on the wall after.

Re: DIY DON'TS

HOST: NellieBellie
You'ld think we would learn...wouldn't you? But nope...I keep making shortcuts.

Re: DIY DON'TS

Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage
OMG Beth that is so funny!!!

Re: DIY DON'TS

Karah @ the space between
I remember when my husband tried to make a work table for our garage like 12 years ago ... it was a first little DIY adventure and the thing just kept falling apart ... and in the end wasn't level and was quite wobbly.  Man have we come a long way.  :)

I host the FORUM at the space between