Blog home page design

Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection
I'm redesigning my blog and am not quite sure how to set up the home page. Right now I have it set up so that whole posts show up and nothing is truncated, I was thinking I'd change that so that the most recent post is full but below it there are four or five "snippits" of the other recent posts. But then I realized that if everything was truncated it would be much easier for things like BlogHer and their sponsored post rules and it would likely increase page views. So my question is.... do y'all love truncated home pages or hate them? Why?

Re: Blog home page design

jenny@birdsandsoap
My personal preference is to have a "recent posts" section at the top so you can click around and see the current events of the blog all at once (whether that be categorized or not ) and then the full blog posts are published below.

I think it makes things more navigable this way if you are headed to a blog for a specific post/section/giveaway (but I like those in little snippets like a pic and a few lines), and then you can feel free to just read, read, and read some more below the fold. I know blogs are shifting in presentation all the time, but something I've always enjoyed is finding a new blog and just reading my way through it. I like to get lost in the person's story and too many truncated posts irritate me, I guess.

I've always like how Beth at www.homestoriesatoz.com has done her home page and Kevin and Layla too at www.theletteredcottage.net.

I guess they have truncated all of their posts...hmmm...I guess you could try out your ideas and run a little experiment to see what gets you more traffic.

Take a look at www.ana-white.com. I love hers (surprised? haha). I know she has a whole community on her site, but  i do like how all the recent stuff is up top and then  you can just scroll down and dig right in. It's win-win.