Quantcast

ALL WHITE

COuld you do ALL WHITE a la Ann Voscamp?

http://www.aholyexperience.com/2012/10/how-to-make-any-place-happy/

I would really really really love to, but I don't know if I'm brave enough yet....

Re: ALL WHITE

jenny@birdsandsoap
I jumped on the white couch bandwagon and have deeply regretted that. I got all sucked into the "It's so easy, you just throw your slipcovers in the washing machine and bleach them occasionally."

Not true.

I slipcovered my sofa and did not anticipate the amount of crud that would cling to a white couch. It was great for about a year, and it has slowly gone downhill. Not to mention, the cotton does not hold up like an upholstery fabric (like chenille-something with a grain, texture, or nap to it). I can bleach my slipcover, but there is pilling on the fabric that puts this dingy haze on everything. It's gross.

Our lifestyle is laid back, We have  a tiny house with no dining room and we often rally around the coffee table for meals. White does not work for our home, no matter how hard I try to force that on my family.

It does however, look great against my walls. The white sofa makes my throw pillows pop and it lightens the room quite a bit. Until you get up close.

And the funny thing is, I'm noticing a lot of "I love white furniture" bloggers are now upgrading their furniture to things resembling the color of dirt. And as soon as I get some $, I'm headed there next.

Re: ALL WHITE

When I think of white walls, I think of rentals that don't let you paint.

White walls are like white sofas to me.

Re: ALL WHITE

I think I only like all white if it includes white floors too, and that's a look that's just not practical for my two kids and large black dog. I have a white slipcovered sofa and so far it actually does wash up pretty well. I wonder if it's just a different kind of fabric or something?

Re: ALL WHITE

LiveLoveDIY
I love white, but don't think I would enjoy white walls. There's something about the warmth a little color adds to the walls that changes a space....even if it's just a warm beige or gray! But ya know....that's just me! I was really tempted to do the white couch thing, but am kinda glad I didn't. Not sure it would hold up in our house. I'm still over our beige couches though. I'm tempted by ivory or gray next!
Virginia
Forum Host
www.livelovediy.com

Re: ALL WHITE

We did the "Cream" couch thing when we were first married...the couches have held up well, but the color?  yeah -- not so pretty up close.  There are always blankets layered over the various baby stains.

...and to whomever mentioned "dirt colored" couches -- I am quite literally getting new carpet the color of dirt and I am THRILLED!  The next best thing to all beat up hardwoods in my book :)

Re: ALL WHITE

HOST-Court-Creek Line
All white walls with the dark trim? That's kind of how I picture my house in my head. I think it's a pretty balls-y look in a really traditional way. And I love it. I might give it a try in a guest room or something and then let it spread across the rest of the house. I'll probably chicken out and do off-white though with lame ol' white trim. I wish I was cool enough to pull off that look.

Re: ALL WHITE

Melissa-The Happier Homemaker
Three boys under 6.  Dog, Cat. Husband.  Affinity for red wine of yours truly.

Nope.

I'd love the all white look but I would not be able to live in it.